Handy Tool for WordPress Plugin Developers: Readme File Generator
If you’re a plugin developer, you may want to check out the WordPress Plugin Readme File Generator.
This convenient tool lets you go through a checklist of fill-in-the-blank boxes to help you make up your readme files for your plugin.
The generator’s first section presents a list of required fields.
- Plugin Name
- Requires at least (lowest version the plugin will work on)
- Tested up to (highest version plugin has been tested on)
- Stable Tag (the Subversion “tag” of the latest stable version)
- Short Description (150 characters max – the generator conveniently keeps track of how many characters you’ve used)
After the required fields, the generator presents numerous optional fields. A simplified WYSIWYG editor is provided for most of the options.
The options fields include the following.
- Long Description
- Donate Link (a space to put donation links)
- Installation Instructions (a default description is included, but you can add your own)
- Frequently Asked Question
- Change Log
- First Screenshot Description
- Second Screenshot Description
- Video (options for YouTube, Vimeo, and WordPress.tv)
- Arbitrary section (space for extra information)
The Completed File
And then you get the completed file.
You can find the generator here.
Photo: Gears from BigStockTags: